Welcome to my Blog

Welcome everyone, I hope to inspire you and share some of my papercraft work. You can find out where I teach and what I am up to, what inspires me and what I am working on next. I love to share new ideas and neat ways of adding creativity to your pages or cards etc

my blog

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Imaginarium Post



Things with Wings Frame 
and Wishing Well book
By Sue Smyth


This year so far I seem to be in a bug phase, at the 
beginning of the year I found a silver cicada ring,(which
I bought) and I loved it so much I looked for 
a plastic one to craft with.
I found lots of tubes and packets with assorted
plastic bugs which inspired me to this framed 
specimen board.


I have layered Imaginarium chipboard butterflies with 
dragonfly's and solid butterflies. 
to create a mythical layered flying machine. 


I have then topped it with a painted bug.
With a wide selection to choose from in 
the bag of bugs, I have chosen here a dragon fly.


Each panel is different. 
To achieve the pearlescent look, I
have sprayed the chipboard with
matt black spray paint and allowed it to dry.


Then I have layered over metallic gold paint, and 
assorted colours of metallic Inka gold.
I have also use some of the Stemple farbe for  
a glittery look to some of the wings.
You can mix contrasting colours for a really
neat look that pops.


This little creature is a chipboard butterfly that
I have added Mega Flakes to, you can
just follow the instructions below to 
create a gorgeous opal look like this.


I tried a plain black frame first and while 
it was ok, the white frame above looked so 
much better.


Step 1
Paint chipboard butterfly black with
Matt black spray paint and 
allow to dry.


Step 2
Rub over flitter glue,this is a sticky size
that will dry tacky and help
the gilding flakes adhere.
You can fudge this with ordinary glue,
but the flitter glue is better.


Step 3
Level the glue out with your fingers, so it will
dry evenly.


Step 4 
Place Mega flakes randomly over top of glue, when it 
is dry.



Step 5
Tap down the flakes so that they 
cover most of the black chipboard.


Step 6
Then use a scouch pad, (plastic scourer)
to remove excess gold flake,to reveal 
the gilded wings below.




Step 7
I have added a little purple inka gold
to the edges of the wings to
Match with the other 
creatures I have made


Step 8
Cover surface with a thin coat of dimensional magic 
to seal the surface and give a wonderful shine.


Here are some close ups of each creature I have made


The larger middle butterfly sits in a gilded frame.
This, I have gold embossed twice for a lustrous effect.


The dragon fly has black opal seed beads
adhered to his body for dimension.
I have used Dimensional magic to 
affix the beads as it dries glossy and clear.


I have added in some metal charms too, for 
smaller and shiny layers.


Each creature sits on a chipboard panel
I have created with Magnolia Lane papers and stamps.


This butterfly has a Magnolia Lane die cut
in the middle for a touch of realism 



Each bug is sprayed with matt black spray paint
too. And when dry rub over gold metallic paint first,
as a base.
Allow to dry and then dab or blend
contrasting colours of inka gold.
It picks up all of the texture.


Dont forget to decorate the centres, I have used a rhinestone
and silver bugle bead here.

Chipboard used 




Wishing Well Address book

This practical little book is made from 
a purchased address book from a supermarket.


This project is a little more simpler than the last
but still pretty.


I have used texture paste, lace and braid to 
alter the surface of the book.
Then added trinkets, chipboard and resin shapes in a 
cluster to decorate my cover.
Everything gets painted with gesso and painted 
with Calypso Teal Dylusions paint. 


I have double embossed the frame, and while 
hot, spray with Calypso teal Dylusions, continue
to heat for a second or two and then allow to cool.
this gives a wonderful antiqued look.


When you are happy with your book, rub over
copper and turquoise inka gold for 
a burnished patina.

Imaginarium Chipboard Used



Happy Crafting 



1 comment:

  1. what can a girl say ... just gorgeous .. love, love love ...

    ReplyDelete