Welcome to my Blog

Welcome everyone, I hope to inspire you and share some of my papercraft work. You can find out where I teach and what I am up to, what inspires me and what I am working on next. I love to share new ideas and neat ways of adding creativity to your pages or cards etc

my blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Some of my Favourite things by Sue Smyth


Dragon Egg Trinket Box
Altered Record and 
Glasses case 
By Sue Smyth 


Hi Bloggers
This time I found a neat little wooden box at Kmart so
of course had to alter it.
I wanted to make it into a trinket box, but one 
that you could imagine being found in 
a Gothic castle or find a dragons egg inside like 
a jewel.


Inside I wanted an egg, made with the same
egg shell that I used to decorate the top.


The base and top are ID chipboard frame
that has been embossed twice,
but I have also rubbed in a little coloured inka gold 
See below for a little tutorial 


Next is an altered Record, which I have been 
wanting to do for a while.
I wanted to paint my record and not keep the black surface.



Here I have painted the chipboard title with 
matt black spray paint, then I have rubbed
over an Art Alchemy wax called opal magic
it gives an iridescent glow over black 


Flowers have been spritzed with purple glimmer mist
but only in the centres, for a two tone look.


The agapanthus chipboard is painted with a moss paint 
system by plaid and then orange prills have
been adhered to the top with
dimensional magic.

The little birds I have altered to look
like faux cloisonne.
First paint with a thick layer of metallic paint or liquid pearls
then swirl a contrasting liquid pearl over top.
Use a toothpick to swirl it all over the surface.
It gives a look of cloisonne or enameling.


I have altered the background of the record after it was painted with gesso
with a stencil and green glitter paste.


Here is a little fun, I have altered my glasses case
As you know I love bugs ATM at least lol.
So I found a wonderful cicada trinket and decided 
to add it to my glasses case 
with the addition of some new ID chipboard



The chipboard is adhere directly to the glasses case with 
gel medium then I have painted the case 
black, then turquoise and then black again,
Rub over with gold paint, then rub over the 
Art Alchemy opal magic for that 
purplish shine.


I have adhered pearls strips and some odd metal hinges 
to the sides for detail.



And of course it still works and is practical too.

Mini Tutorial on Dragon Trinket box 

To make the feet, I have used large glass beads,
then inserted a toothpick into them and 
glued them in place, Set them aside to dry.
Then poke holes in the base, thread in 
the toothpick and trim off the excess
adhere in place with glue.


Decorate the sides with pearls and die cuts 
for texture, adhere down with gel medium.


Now for the top, adhere egg shell with a layer 
of texture paste, I find it holds the egg shell better
than just gel medium.


Adhere plastic trim to the lid edge with 
gel medium 


I like to paint the inside with black spray paint 
to hide any paint spills and splots.


Once the egg shell is dry and painted with 
teal dylusion paint, I have rubbed 
in turquoise, purple and cobalt inka gold
for a lustrous peacock look.

Emboss both of the frames, twice then adhere to top and 
bottom of box.
And add the crystal knob as a handle and of course 
some trinkets and pearls as pictured.

I hope you have enjoyed this months projects 
and keep an eye out for next time 

Happy Crafting 


No comments:

Post a Comment