Welcome to my Blog

Welcome everyone, I hope to inspire you and share some of my papercraft work. You can find out where I teach and what I am up to, what inspires me and what I am working on next. I love to share new ideas and neat ways of adding creativity to your pages or cards etc

my blog

Friday, February 20, 2015

Adore Layout by Sue Smyth


Adore Layout 
By Sue Smyth 

Hi Bloggers 


Today I am sharing a gentle little layout using Butterfly Garden papers 
The soft blues work perfectly with a red or orange as a contrast.
But first I wanted to alter the paper, not much but just 
to add icing to the cake!



After randomly punching the edges,
the first step is to dry brush gesso over a stencil around the paper
and create 3 tears in the sides of the paper.
When dry spray over a turquoise and Denim blue spray ink. and dry off 
with a heat gun.
Curl the tears with your fingers to give a good shape. 
Flick over white, turquoise and black spray inks
for a random splatted look.



Next whip out that gesso brush and add some more, add it to the trinkets and flowers.
Gesso gives a flat white substance for any water based spray to 
soak into and colour.


To do my butterflies, I always like to glue them to scrap
cardstock first. Then fussy cut them. This gives the
wings a bit of strength. 



I have then carefully outlined the wings of the butterflies
and dipped them in fine black glitter.


To glam up the silver trim, first coat with gesso to lessen 
the brassy shine. I have then placed a drop of good 
gel glue in each and popped in a turquoise glass bead. 
One way to use up those seed beads!


When dry it looks nicely antique and great!

The over all effect is cool, with a shabby chic look.
Add a cluster of flowers. I have layered up my flowers
with trinkets and smaller blooms.

You might also notice I have cut a trinket in half and placed it 
either side of the photo, this gives a cohesive look and is 
one way to make embellishments go further.


Tuck glass beads and a generous bow from seam binding.
Take ordinary white binding and spritz with water, when damp
spray over the colour ink you like to match the layout.


This metal trinket is vamped up by adding gesso to the wings, then 
spray with a soft pale blue ink. 
Then apply a line of Dimensional magic to the centre
and apply black pearl seed beads, for a textured 
rich look.



Add a small title, you don't have to have a large title 
to have impact. Because there are words already
on the paper, it  dosn't need many more
and  this small metallic blue title stands out
superbly.

1 comment: